- 5 mins
Hello fresh flavours of happiness! Hello Pea and Mint Pesto!
In the UK & Ireland it’s always a pleasure to scoop up some fresh peas during the early Summer months. Nestled in their pods – like happy little families! When the peas are young it’s hard to resist eating them straight off the plant. But when you can manage to hold back; their are greater treats ahead.
Make an effort to use the most awesome of cheese. It really does make the difference! On this occasion I chose Coolea – a beautiful wax coated hard cheese, made by the Willems family in Coolea, Co Cork. It’s made from an old Dutch Gouda recipe; resulting in a slightly salty, incredibly moreish cheese – with stunning caramel notes. PERFECTION.
This recipe also works well with frozen peas in the cooler months. You just end up with a slightly softer consistency. Still perfect on toast, topped with bacon & a poached egg!
- 2 Cups Freshly Podded Peas
- 1 Cup Cashew Nuts
- 1/4 Cup Diced Fresh Mint
- Approx 10tbspn Broighter Gold Rapeseed Oil
- Approx 10tbsp Cold Water
- 1 Cup Grated Hard Irish Cheese ( I used Coolea )
- Add your podded peas, cashew nuts, fresh mint, rapeseed oil & cold water to your blender. Pulse until mixture in short bursts, until the peas, and cashew nuts start to break up. Scrape down the sides of the blender and pulse again. Decide on your favoured consistency – and stop there.
- Remove the now well combined pesto from the blender; and place in a large bowl. Add cheese, and stir to combine.
- Enjoy on toast, as a dip or stirred through pasta!